Additional Information

Add Information Here
DO YOU WISH TO SEE LUCILLE ON MT. LOGAN (Canada HIGHEST PEAK!) JUST CLICK BETWEEN
BLOG ARCHIVES AND MY PICTURE.

Monday, April 20, 2015

POTVIN, CHARLES + AMELIE MONTPETIT (100 ENG -- 99 fran)



    POTVIN, Charles + Amélie Montpetit (100 ENG)

        Music was a vital part of our training in highschool with the Sisters of the Assumption, Sister Madeleine Beaudry, our music teacher, discovering my signing ability, had given me the soprano solo of a very beautiful song taken from a melody of BeethovenLa Passionata  "Nuit d'amour, O belle nuit sereine, Version calme sur toute peine..." I performed this song on stage one evening at a concert given at the Jésuit Boy's College, with Cécile Vallée singing the alto.  Present in the audience was a singing teacher from London, England, Mr. Herbert Turner, long time engaged in the Kiwanis Music Festical. He had a monthly program on CKUA, radio called "Student's  on Parade" and was looking for talented students, instrumental as well as vocal performers.

       The day after the concert, he presented himself at the Bay where Father worked as a tailor-in charge. He told him he would very much like to give me singing lessons because of my promising singing talent. Father accepted on the condition that Cecile accompany me because we had been singing together since childhood and she hadavery good voice. Soon after, our younger sister Roseanna, hoined us to form a gilingual vocal trio which eventually became, Mr. Turner's pride. While giving us free singing lessons, le had us perform on his radio Program "Students' on Parade" once a month and our bilingual repertoire was a plus to the quality of his productions.

     My very first solo on the air was quite an ususual event for us all but also caused quite a commotion in our home. Mr. Turner had well prepared me of my songs was the beautiful melody of Dvorjak's French Humoresque. I was in perfedt shape and calm for I do not recall ever panicking on state. it beint just a natural thing for me, but the next morning when Igot up to my utter astonishment, I could not say a work. I had total voice extinction, something never experienced before. I was perfectly mute! Mother quite worried, had me take her grandmother's remedu. Tjree times that day, I hasd to swallow a large spoonfull of coal oil with sugar. We lived on the very outskirts of the city and we had no phone and really no way of reaching Mr. Herbert to  let him know I was unable to perform on the air. Then our whole family decided to pray for meand all knelt down together asking for a small miracle. After supper, still hoping beong all reason that everything would work out. I took th e bus to the radio station.

    At seven o'clock, my whole family sat around the radio, anxiouly waiting. Whjen hearing the mentione of my name as next performer, they all knelt down and prayed for me again. To their total astonishement (and to mine indeed!) my voice came out clear, fresh and lively as ever. They could hardly believe their ears! The whole program was very successful and my professor had great hopes for the future. I still believe prayer had sustained my first performance on the air and the many more to follow.

   Our signing teacher being very involved in the Alberta Provincial Spring Music Festival, entered us in the woman's vocal competitions. To everyone's surprise, I won the ladies mezzo soprano solo over six other candidates. When I saw the other candidates so sell dressed and heard them performing to well. I did not thing I had a chance. The mext day, we performed as a trio and came second out of five singing groups. Our seccesses were a fine reward for Mr. Turner who trauned us so diligently giving his time and professional guidance so graciously.

    In our great surprise, we were invited to perform with all the provincal winniers in the Grand closing convert, a most formal event, everyone appearring in their finest formal dress. As for we three, we had no such fineries to wear and no means of buying any. We were very conscious of our poverty that everning as we appeared on the huge stage after so many glamorous artists, all dolled up. ecile in her same orange dress, and Roseanne in her black and I in my dark rted dress with our everyday shoes well shines. At least thank God, our voices blended together beautifully, far better that our baroque combination of clashing colours and unshapely frocks.

ref: Sister Thérèse Potvin - "My Hand in His Hand"  

                                  Choir - directed by Sister Thérèse Potvin - 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment