Additional Information

Add Information Here
DO YOU WISH TO SEE LUCILLE ON MT. LOGAN (Canada HIGHEST PEAK!) JUST CLICK BETWEEN
BLOG ARCHIVES AND MY PICTURE.

Monday, May 18, 2015

LACOMBE ALBERT, (4) (142 ENGLISH -- 141 franc)



LACOMBE, ALBERT, (4)   (142 ENGLISH)

THE MEETING WITH JEAN L’HEUREUX

Now, after twenty days of work and of fatigue, without stops or rest, Father Lacombe became ill.  What will happen everyone wondered.  Without care, without pills, tortured by the frost yet burning with fever, he saw only a vision of death.
However in this deep misery, he said to himself that he had confidence  in God “I told Him with all my heart and soul: ‘Lord you know why I came here, if you take away my life, many of these poor souls will die without baptism and will never see your adorable face. My work here is far from ended, grant me my life; I still want to devote all of my strength and energy to make your holy name known.’”
God had pity on His servant; He sent him a man from another camp who knew about medicine, who became his nurse and his savior.  Abandoned in his tent, surrounded by the dead and dying, Father Lacombe was already preparing to appear before his Sovereign Judge when an unknown man arrived and asked him in proper French if Father Lacombe would accept his services.  This man appeared to be honest, robust in stature and not one of the Natives.
“Who are you?” asked Father Lacombe of the visitor.
“I am Jean L’Heureux” replied the visitor.
“You are a Canadian?  How come you find yourself here?”
“I have spent many years among the Black Foot, and in the absence of a priest, I’ve tried to do a bit of good by teaching them about God.”
“Who told you I was here?”
“I’ve come from a camp far away, and I heard from a Native that you were dangerously ill yourself. As soon as I heard I hurried to come to your help knowing that you probably lacked many things.”
“You are welcome my dear friend; in fact, I really need a lot of help.” 
“It is impossible to describe” added Father Lacombe, “all the goodness and kindness that this man gave me.  To begin with, he went hunting to give me a bit of fresh food; then he always had a good fire burning in my tent.  He stayed close to me night and day, waiting for the dangerous elements of the illness to pass…. I don’t hesitate to say that he saved my life.”
Sufficiently better from the illness, Father Lacombe returned to his work with added enthusiasm; he taught, he baptized, he encouraged these poor godless people victims of so much suffering and misery. The zeal and devotion of the Black Robe struck the Indians and impressed in their hearts a confidence in all priests which they have never lost since then.
Ref. Le Père Lacombe, p 103-105
standing - Father Lacombe with Jean L'Heureux on his right
                         sitting - Crowfoot + Red Crow on his right 

No comments:

Post a Comment